In RMR’s continuing series The Money Backers, we give readers a glimpse of who’s who and who owns what in energy’s private equity world. From the largest to the smallest to the newest, we look especially at those firms making hay in the midstream industry to provide the capital infusion required to give growth projects liftoff.
EIG Global Energy Partners
Formed in 1982, EIG Global Energy Partners is a leading provider of institutional capital to the energy sector globally. A niche investor, EIG has partnered with over 315 energy companies in 36 countries around the world since inception. The firm’s global platform supports seven offices on five continents.
Wash., D.C.-based EIG Global Energy Partners makes headlines the world over whenever it adds to the firm’s mammoth investment portfolio. As its name implies, EIG provides financing exclusively for leading companies across the energy spectrum, with $33 billion in committed capital. Since its inception in 1982, this private-equity machine has made investments in 355 companies in 36 countries on six continents that include upstream, midstream, infrastructure, power, renewables and resources.
For the sake of brevity, we’ll pare down the list and take a peek at the firm’s heavy hitters in the U.S. midstream space.
- Aethon Energy is an integrated upstream and midstream company primarily focused on the acquisition and development of assets in the Haynesville shale play.
- ARB Midstream provides crude oil and gas liquids midstream and marketing/logistics solutions with more than 800 miles of crude oil gathering lines and 1 MMBls of storage capacity. Assets include the Platte River Gathering System in the DJ Basin and the Texoma Gathering System in Okla., and North Texas.
- Cheniere Energy operates the Sabine Pass and Corpus Christi LNG terminals, along with the 94-mile natural gas Creole Trail Pipeline, the 23-mile Cheniere Corpus Christi Pipeline, and the 200-mile Midship Pipeline currently under construction.
- Blue Racer owns, operates and acquires midstream assets in the Utica and Marcellus.
- Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America.
- NGL Energy Partners provides transportation, storage, blending and marketing services of crude oil, NGLs, refined products and renewables.
- NuStar Energy is one of the largest liquids terminal and pipeline operators in the nation, which stores and distributes crude oil, refined products and specialty liquids.
- Southcross Energy provides natural gas gathering, processing, treating, compression and transportation services, as well as NGL fractionation and transportation services.
- USA Compression is one of the nation’s largest independent providers of compression services to customers across the oil and gas industry.
Tell us what you think.